Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Bless the U.S.A.

Ten years ago today I remember walking into my sophmore History class only to see the television on, and a building with a smoking, gaping wound on it's side. I think maybe I was too young to understand the magnitude of what was happening, but now it really hits me hard seeing mothers and relatives draped over their loved one's name on one memorial or another. September 11, 2001 is a date that Emma will be learning about from a History book. The book will give the facts about what happened, and how many people were killed, but it will not be able to recount how people were jumping to their death from windows, from fear of being crushed should the towers fall. It also, will not tell the stories about those who are alive today because they had a busy morning and were running late for work, or because their child was sick and they had to stay at home with them.

I think perhaps the noblest thing from this day was the courage that United Flight 93 showed, as they forced their plane to crash into a field in Pennsylvania rather than crashing into the White House. They knew that they were going to die either by the hands of a terrorist, or that they could sacrifice themselves and save some people who would be able to fight Al Quaeda (as we found out later was behind the attacks.) Nick and I were talking, wondering if we would be able to do the same thing given their situation, and sadly, I am not sure I could. I know that for everyone there is a time to die (as stated in the Bible), but to cause your own death is something I have a hard time grasping, and therefore, I see these people, along with the firefighters, as the true heroes of the day.

"God bless America. Land that I love! Stand beside her, and guide her, through the night with a light from above." Lord please guide our country through these troubled waters in which we sail, and bring us to a safe harbor soon. Keep those who lost their lives ten years ago today in your hands, and be with the innocent Muslim population who has received a bad rap from a few bad apples among them. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.





No comments: